Friday 10 August 2012

He's a Legend!

Legend went home yesterday and his feet have been so sensational to watch as they changed that I knew you'd all want an update ASAP.
17th April
As you know, his feet were pretty wild when he arrived - flat, thin soled and pancaked as a result of both navicular and mechanical laminitis. I've added dates so its clear what growth and angle changes were happening when.
24th June
Rapid improvements once he was back in work - here are his feet in June; by yesterday - below - there is only a small amount of long toe left to grow out. I didn't trim his toe back because it would have overloaded his weak palmar hoof, as I explained here

These photos show clearly, I hope, that the old stretched growth does NOT lever away the new, healthy hoof. He hasn't been trimmed at all and he has maintained and grown a better foot in short order as a result. 
9th August
It won't be long until that toe has grown out and worn away, giving Legend time to adjust to his new hoof balance without sudden changes or disruption. He has been going really well and I am hoping for great updates on him before too long.

9 comments:

M's mum said...

Wow, it's amazing isn't it! Clever legend.

amandap said...

This is amazing and extremely interesting.
What a fabulous Legend and here's to his continuing rapid progress at home.
All credit to his owner too. x

smazourek said...

I finally found out that the secret to getting my gelding sound on all footing was to leave his toes alone. So you've got a convert here. Sound trumps pretty.

jenj said...

Such a dramatic difference! I hope he continues to make amazing progress once he returns home.

Nic Barker said...

Smaziurek - love that - thanks for letting us know - cool, isn't it ;-)

Natalie said...

That is where my horse is at now and it taking me every bit of control I have not to rasp the toe.
You posted this at the right time. I was going to go rasp it right after work today but I think I will wait and see now

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Crazy cool to see those BIG transformations. I've put my rasp and knife away since early July...biting my lip and waiting. VERY interesting to see changes and to have nightly talks with myself "DO NOT TOUCH" to see what happens...

Nic Barker said...

Let us know how you get on, Kristen and MQ :-)

Kathy Adams said...

Nic this is so interesting, I would've thought it impossible to grow in a well connected foot without removing the leverage of that long toe.
So it wasn't the trim that fixed this horse, it was the diet and environment? I'd love to know what changes were made, what made the difference? If he hadn't been moved to your rehab farm, could you have made this much progress? From the pics I've seen, you have a wonderful track system with pea gravel etc, that must have been a huge help. And you didn't need to cast the horse? I'm sure boots would've been a impossible to fit. Would so appreciate any more info on what changes you made, thanks!