Tuesday 19 July 2011

Summer on Exmoor

So I wanted to get some footage for Matt (who owns Flynn), who is in New York being a wasp (yes, really and its not even an acronym, have a look at the link!), Sarah (who owns Zan) who is having a tough week in London and Jacqui and Maddy (who own George) who are in Spain.

However, I've been foiled by Exmoor (pictured - believe it or not this is not some far-flung rainforest but my back door in the morning - I am not complaining, however!)
I DID have my camera in my pocket when I called the horses in yesterday but it was SUCH a foul day that to be honest the schedule had no gaps for "proper" filming opportunities.  Instead it went something like this:
  • the horses came in, had breakfast and stood in the barn wondering what the hell had happened to summer;
  • the horses were turned out on the track, refused to leave the barn, ate more haylage, shuddered at the ghastly weather;
  • horses who should have been exercised today were re-scheduled to Wednesday when perhaps the weather will be better - it can't be wetter, though there may be more horseflies...
  • the horses ate haylage all day, groomed each other, occasionally poked their noses out of the barn and decided to stay put;
  • the horses had their tea, were rugged up and sighed again as they listened to the rain drumming on the roof;
  • the horses were turned out - rain amazingly started letting up about half an hour later; horses all now stuffing their faces and no longer care...

Sorry to Jen, who was waiting for a post on surfaces - it IS on its way(!)

6 comments:

Val said...

Nicely put together video. And very fitting music selection. The cow and horse faces coming in from the field were priceless.

Nic Barker said...

Thanks Val :-) I was pleased with how well my little point and squirt Panasonic did in the rain! It was just too tempting to then come inside and spend half an hour putting it together instead of staying outside and getting even wetter ;-)

jenj said...

While I admit the rain and that lovely little brook look oh-so-refreshing, the fact that your horses are rugged makes me suspicious. Our rugs haven't seen the light of day since... March maybe? Probably we'd freeze there in Exmoor - especially seeing as how it's 27 degrees warmer here than it is there.

Nic Barker said...

LOL Jen :-) I think you would. I hate rugging in summer but if I have horses with hair standing on end and shivering I take pity on them. They would hate Texas though - they get very listless once its above 20C!

Media Wurzel said...

I'm back in the UK in human form (although I think my brain is still in NYC). It was nice to keep up with your blog whilst I was away. Unfortunately my phone doesn't seem to like Vimeo though. I'll have to get that sorted. I am away to Chicago to become a hummingbird on 9th August. See you on Friday. We can discuss where to go with Flynn next, then. Hope he's well (oh, and you too!).

Nic Barker said...

Of course Matt - Chicago naturally swarms with hummingbirds(!)... :-) See you Friday!