Friday 17 May 2019

That Friday feeling

After such an inspirational post on Monday it only feels right to end with an equally inspirational update today.

This time its for a horse I know well, handsome Ginger who was here for rehab in 2016. One of the best parts of rehab is receiving updates from owners once horses are back home but I will admit that Ginger had me worried at times, which is why updates about him are all the more special.

He is a warmblood who was only 6 when he came to us for rehab. He was also quite severely lame, graded 5/10 lame in trot, and had not responded to conventional treatments.

While I was writing this post I found the referring email from his vet, who though positive about us was guarded about Ginger's prognosis:

"I've been asked by one my clients to get in touch with you about a possible referral.
First of all, I applaud your decision to only accept horses that have been referred by a vet. 

I think it shows respect towards the veterinary profession and promotes a good relationship between us and your Rehabilitation Centre. Also, I had a look at your website and the "vet info" that Anita forwarded on an email and I completely share your approach to promote hoof health and overall lower limb biomechanics.

 I am not entirely sure that your rehabilitation system may improve Ginger's lameness -hence wanting to discuss the case further with my colleague- but at the same time I feel that improving his hoof health and balance will only benefit him. Therefore, please accept this email as a referral."
Although he developed a much stronger hoof while he was here, and was landing adequately when he returned home, there was clearly a long way still to go; in fact I think I said to Anita as they left that it would take at least 6 months to a year before his feet had finished changing and growing.

As often happens, he had setbacks as well as making progress during his rehab. Rehab is never, or rarely, a smooth upward curve; its more commonly characterised as 2 steps forward, 1 step back and its important at the less positive times to remember how far you and the horse have come.
Initially Anita, Ginger and I were just hoping to get him fully sound again and Anita's hopes for him were on hold, as is so often the case when horses come here. However after a year of patient work by Anita Ginger was ready to put his lameness behind him and in the intervening years he has gone from strength to strength. 
For a time, like many horses who have had injuries within the hoof capsule, Ginger grew a deviated hoof wall, meaning his feet looked odd but functioned well. After a year he apparently no longer needed it and he now has feet which look normal and function extremely well! 
This spring has seen Anita and Ginger introduce jumping into their skill set and I think Ginger is a natural. I hope they have a wonderful summer and that we see many more photos like these. 

No comments: