Wednesday 2 July 2014

I have camera envy...

I had a lot of fun yesterday trying out a Sony FS700 - the same camera which filmed the awesome footage from last year's RRR (that film has now had nearly 20,000 views, incidentally!).

The camera I got my sticky little hands on yesterday belongs to our long-suffering friend Ted who not only spent several hours indoctrinating me into the hows and whys of getting the camera to work but went way above and beyond the call of duty and lunged Felix while I filmed - and a grand job he did as well.
The aim wasn't really to get hoof or biomechanics footage - it was just a chance to get more familiar with the camera and its incredible slow-mo capabilities so that I can hire one to take to the RRR - and then we can really start to have fun!

It was a glorious day - which is what this camera needs, because HD slow motion requires TONS of light. Some of the footage reflects this - or I messed up when putting it together - but thats' why its test footage.

For a random selection of horses and dogs in slow motion, take a look at the clip - and don't forget to let me know either as a comment here or on Facebook if there are particular (equine!) gaits, actions, speeds or surfaces that you'd like to see in this year's RRR footage. 
We already have jumping and fast work on different surfaces (including corners) on the agenda, along with more footage of every angle of horses' movement. All suggestions are welcome!

10 comments:

dreams579 said...

Exmoor really does look stunning in the sunshine! loving the doggy antics, and felix looking most unimpressed at having to trot/canter disunited in the sunshine!

With my dressage head on, I'd love to see some lateral work done in slow mo - any anything fancier if someone has a more advance pony than I!

Nic Barker said...

LOL Emma! I needed a 5 second burst of something - horseflies put paid to any nice work!

Surely if you are coming to the RRR you will be demonstrating "advanced" dressage yourself?

Anonymous said...

If you can just take regular video, which I can do on my digital camera, you can use Microsoft movie maker to make the clip into slow mo, that might help your lighting problem. It is super simple to use and you can save your file for internet, email, etc. I have Win 7 .. it's super easy to do.
Jyl Snyder

Nic Barker said...

Thanks Jyl but I can already slow down regular camcorder footage and also have one camera that will record at 100fps, which is great too - you will find masses of slow mo clips on the blog already.

This camera is special because it records in full HD at 200fps so you get a much better picture - and thats why it needs LOTS of light.

The only snag is that it costs over £6000 - which is why I can only occasionally hire one!

dreams579 said...

I wish my pony was more advanced! we can barely go in a straight line at the moment... though he does find lateral work annoyingly easy, and I've never know a pony with so many evasions in his book!

but he will be making an appearance so I'm definitely happy to ride some wobbly lines for you!

Nic Barker said...

Looking forward to filming him Em ;-)

Nic Barker said...

PS: Felix in the school today - no camera, no horseflies, naturally perfect canter transitions each time, each rein (sigh!)...

rn said...

Such a great clip!
Love the dog going through the water, and Felix on the lunge is just wow:) I don't think I have seen a slo mo transition before - that was cool, and the angle he leans over at , he would make a speedway biker jealous!

I would love to see footage of barefoot up and down steep hills, if MK has such things, in all paces if possible please?

Jane said...

Vizslas - do they ever grow into their feet?! Lily hasn't. And she's still as clumsy on her clown feet as ever, lol. Very cute puppy slo-mo :)

Anonymous said...

Nic, you have opened up the world of cameras for me, I had no clue that cameras such as that existed. In my little world, my digital and MM program worked, I started filming some of my clients horses for them with that. Now I have camera envy, the shots on the blog, which I just had time to watch were just lovely. Ha, will have to exist with my digital/MM combo but now I have to say, I want one of those!!!

Jyl